Aug 27, 2005
Oh sweet California
at 2:19 AM
what do I find!? ha, what do I find in this small dinky arab shop!?
In this small dinky arab shop, I find a piece of my lost spirit:
- SABBAR!! (prickly pears), oh, I've been looking for this stuff for so
long! In seattle I used to hunt in China Town every weekend to get it
like once a year.
- Bala7!! (yes, not Tamer, but hard juicy yellow Bala7). I did not have
bala7 since I was in Jordan in 2000. Ah.. the years I've yearned for one.
- real Teen!! and I'm not talking about the plastic green stuff you get
at Safeway. This is nice sweet teen (although I'm still looking for
that Syrian purple teen - big, juicy & self-peeling)
- Khiyar and Kosa!! the real thing, small & tasty and free of those huge
- white Seeds (bizir ya3ni, bizir!)
ah.. I know this sounds weird, but mediterranean fruits are hard to find in the US. California is so different. It's so similar to back home. People even have Lemon & Orange trees in their backyards.
(note: I didn't have my camera, so forgive me for using an older picture of Sabbar in Seattle)